Accepts only Problem Wastes
Household Hazardous Waste
- Chemicals, oil-based stains, pesticides, etc.
- Fluorescent bulbs (limit 8)
- Computers and monitors (limit two systems)
- Stereo systems
- Televisions 19" and smaller - Fee currently waived
- #1 and #2 plastic bottles and jugs
- Aluminum (SEIRD does not pay for aluminum)
- Steel cans
- Oil, filters and antifreeze (limit 5 gallons motor oil)
- Refrigerant appliances - Fee currently waived
- Passenger/pick up $1.00 ea. off rim, $2.00 ea. on rim (limit 10)
- Semi-truck tire $5.00 ea, off rim; $10.00 ea. on rim (limit 4)
- Front Tractor Tire: $3.00 ea (limit 2)
- Rear Tractor tire: $10.00 ea. (limit 2)
- Rechargeable batteries
- No alkaline batteries accepted
Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal
Notice: Jefferson County residents may bring unused non-controlled medicines and used syringes to the Jefferson County Recycling Center during regular business hours. Controlled medicines (narcotics) must be taken to the Madison Police Department or the Jefferson Co. Sheriff's Office, 24 hours a day and seven days a week. There is no cost for this service and no questions will be asked.
Rules for Recycling
- No commercial materials accepted.
- Do not leave items after facility has closed.
- Please find an attendant if you have tires, appliances, televisions, or need assistance.
- Please remove all lids from containers and rinse thoroughly.
- No latex-based paints accepted.
- No propane or fuel tanks accepted.
- Please call ahead with any questions about items not listed.
Drop off Locations within Jefferson Co. offered by county government:
Saluda Shrine Club, Mon. 2:00-6:00 pm
Deputy Feedmill, Tues. 2:00-6:00 pm
Dupont Firehouse, Wed. 2:00-6:00 pm
Rykers Ridge Firehouse, Thurs. 2:00-6:00 pm
Canaan Firehouse, Fri. 1:00-3:00pm
Brooksburg Fire Dept. Fri. 4:00-6:00pm
- Plastic Containers #1-#7
- Newspapers/Newspaper Inserts
- Mixed Office Papers
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Aluminum, Metal Cans,Steel Cans
- Clear and Colored Glass Containers
SEIRD Jefferson County Reuse Center
13 Medical Plaza, Hanover
Hours: Tues. and Thurs. 12pm-5pm, Sat. 8am-12pm
- All Items are FREE!
- Smoke-Free Facility
- No Food or Drink
- Children must be attended at all times
Please help us by following these simples rules:
- Leave reusable items only. No trash, broken, stained, dirty, or ripped items.
- Shopping is limited to one time per week.
- Limit shopping time to 20 minutes - No loitering.
- Items taken are not to be sold. No items are to be put in yard sales, consignment shops, or Ebay as examples.
- Limit of 4 items per person, except clothing.
- Limit of 5 books.
- Please show attendant items that you intend to leave on site.
- The attendant has the right to distribute items at his/her discretion.
- Please help keep clothing neatly folded or hung.
- This facility is provided for the citizens of Jefferson County to share/swap/exchange items that are in good condition/working order.
- Working Household appliances
- Lawnmowers and other yard equipment
- Electric and hand tools
- Clean Clothing
- Exercise equipment
- Good paint and painting products in original containers
- Other useful and reusable items
- Please respect the generosity of others
- Take only what you need
Do Not Bring
- Broken/intermittent or non-working equipment
- Items covered with dirt or bird droppings
- Dirty or ripped clothing
- Underwear or hats
- Upholstered furniture
- Mattresses or bedding
- Old paints that have been frozen, dried, thinned or contaminated
- Books with mold/mildew, missing covers and/or pages
- Items that are potentially hazardous because of flaws or faults
For information about volunteering, please call SEIRD at 812.574.4080.